Thursday 30 June 2022

Day 9 (and a half weeks) Thursday 30th June

 Today was dogged by technical problems, well, "A" technical problem. Out here in the boonies (North West Coast) there is no phone signal and everytime I checked to Thurso, it was still the case. But on being told the signal was good in Thurso, I rebooted the phone and everything worked. What this had meant though was that I had been unable to call Sam, the manager ahead of time, so he was not available. By the reception from his colleagues though, he must be a lovely guy as they were so warm and welcoming. I got my ticket for Maverick (I said it would make a billion dollars) had a real look round and marvelled at how different to the others it was and yet how familiar and comfortable at the same time. It is in a modern building on the edge of Thurso and the layout of the seating and theatres feels very spacious and in a funny way, modern. They have quirky stars on the ground indoors for Elizabeth Taylor and others, but the thing I loved, as part of the Decor were quotes from films, and not just the famous ones too. I'm coming back, only next time I'll be watching a film, there's a lovely atmsphere and it has a real sense of "tech quality" too.....

So how did my day start. Another dry pack up for the bivvy and a million midges following my every move. Boots were still wet but such is life. The one movie quote that has made a huge difference to me over the last few days, comes from "The Assassin",,,, "I never did mind about the little things" a bit like Hakuna Matata, but with a rocket launcher and it really has helped to settle my mind. 

Breakfast was two cans of iced coffee and a yoghurt bar, admiring the castle on the isle that had gone before and off I set. From Loch Assynt to Helmsdale I covered about 245 miles today and much of it was wilderness. Not barren and charred, but lush rocky lumpy moorland wilderness. There was Loch after Loch, some mirror flat others stirred and rippling, there were extraordinary views and at one point An Almighty Glen which was literally breathtaking in scale. A few more deer, lots of sheep  and of course Hairy Coos . 


Durness felt like a real turning point (Sorry, couldn't resist) and I stopped at Smoo Cave for a mooch. To me the cave wasn't that impressive (but I didn't go on the tour) the inlet just outside though looked and sounded fantastic. Crystal clear waters, sheer cliffs rising and the echoing sound of the birds was beautiful. 



Then I stopped at Talmine on the Kyle of Tongue. Some where I had been before...... as athree year old. I took some photos for Mother and will see if I can match them up with the originals from the 70's when I get home.  

Across the causeway and the long haul to The Merlin Cinema, Thurso. Cars everywhere, from roads that are borderline deserted to a busy town, it was a bit of a shock, but once heading out to Dunnet Head, normality resumed. I am not looking forward to the M25 in a few days time.......

I checked off the most Northerly point in Mainland Britain 


and headed on to John O Groats where I met up with the delightful Stephanie Evens. Lovely to chat to and nothing was too much trouble. She even rounded up a couple of the team to help with and take part in the photos at the signpost. 

The weather for the day had been really good with the odd shower, but the blue skie that opened up for us at about 1530 could not have been better. As I was leaving there was the classic Highland fog drifting across, below blue skies and it wafted in and out, the whole way to Helmsdale where I had a bunkroom and midge free bed waiting for me. The welcome was delightful, the building what loked to be a beautifully converted chapel and the owner helped with everythign from local knowledge, to hanging up my socks!!!!!!

In terms of days, this is the end of 9/14. Distance, I topped 2000 miles today 

(2175 by the end) and I had estimated it would be around 3200. And in terms of way points, John O Groats was the target and now I have turned around and am heading home......... Slowly.  

1 comment:

  1. Love reading your adventures! I feel like I’m living the journey with you…an amazing blog!

    ReplyDelete

3000 MIles to Heamoor, Coda: Those that made it happen

A Tour like that, doesn't just happen and is not just reliant on the planning in advance along the way, there are dozens of people and o...