Wednesday 22 June 2022

Best Laid Plans

 So from the Acorn of Lands End, Savoy Penzance, Merlin Thurso to John O Groats, came the Oak Tree of a 3000 mile tour of Britain. But what went on in between. First was simply plotting the towns each cinema was in and a rough idea of how to ping pong (in Cornwall at least) between them. Then came the over use of "AA Routeplanner" looking at distances and roads used, and then was the recognition that I was actually passing through several National Parks and with a little deviation I could cover all bar two. The North Yorkshire Moors and Pembrokeshire Coast were just out of reach and would add too much to my driving day. 
The original idea was to limit myself to around 300 miles a day and cover the distance and Cineams in 11 days leaving me 3 days spare in case of mishaps or tiredness. Then a good friend and colleague at Lands End Airport suggested I take my time through Scotland which would extend my trip, but also be a lot less tiring. Eleven days stretched to 14 and an extra days leave requested meant I would have one day spare for "Problems". 

The route barely changed, but my plan became very exact with places and timings, but always (well, most days) with flexibility built in. Money is tight (Paricularly with the cost of fuel now as opposed to 6 months ago) so I decided to bivvy for several of the nights. One Dutch Army surplas Bivouc later (£150) and my plan (and leisure life) was transformed. I tested it in three different parts of West Cornwall and it was warm, comfortable and dry. It also flagged up a few issues I needed to address.... which I did. 

I booked in at three hostels/bunkhouses at intervals along the route and looked for places of interest on Google Earth and from friends who had been across the border. 

I treated myself to a new powerbank, netbook and helmet cam. I booked in for a few nights with friends and family in Devon, Chester and Salisbury and planned down to the last detail the equipment I wanted to take, then narrowed it down to what I could fit in two motorcycle panniers, a large top box and a tank bag. 

Then there was the trial run. A trip to Mothers in Devon utilising the very route I would take on day one, testing the tracking software and scouting the actual cinemas for the photos I would want. 


Te trip worked like a dream and from there it was ironing out the wrinkles, picking up bits of advice and encouragement along the way. I made contact with Merlin themselves to let them know what I was up to and also the Cornwall Blood Bikes for suggestions on fundraising etc. 

From that point I have picked up mountain passes, castles and ferries I want to experience. Film sites used in Skyfall and Robin Hood Prince of thieves and even scoped out suitable places to pitch my Bivouc, 
After all this planning, plotting and scheming, it will be interesting to see how much of it actully works out.........
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

3000 MIles to Heamoor, Coda: Those that made it happen

A Tour like that, doesn't just happen and is not just reliant on the planning in advance along the way, there are dozens of people and o...