Friday 24 June 2022

Day 3 (Men and a Baby) 24th June.

 Yes the sheep did interfere with me, at around 5am. Lots of bleating and rustling up alongside the Bivvy, but that wasn't the problem. I went to sleep with a bit of a sore throat which I thought was dehydration and woke a couple of hours later with a totally blocked nose and buzzing sinuses. I slept badly and then with the sheep waking me early I gradually got up and packed away the gear. I felt a bit groggy but with some fresh air and a chilled coffee from last nights Co-op fiasco, I was set for an early satart and headed off. Wales was deserted. The roads were quiet and my route took me through the Elan Valley and alongside the Garrge Ddu Reservoir  and two others I won't even try to spell which, all in was simply majestic. 

The roads were lovely for biking..... smooth long bends and several picturesque starights meant that travelling was an absolute pleasure, and as the day wore on, My nasal state improved but I lost my voice. 

Snowdonia was exactly what you would expect from one of our National Parks. towering mountains, plunging valleys, piles of slate and so many sheep. My route from Brecon to Chester took me to the coast at Tywyn (Game of thrones anyone?), 

Through the heart of Snowdonia at Blaenau Ffestiniog and up to the North coast and the lovely two screen "Scala" cinema in Prestatyn. Nicci the manager was as excited to see me as I was knackered, but her enthusiasm rubbed off and I got the full tour..... Two screens with an amazing damped sound in each and a remarkable layout for the seating. She gave me a rundown of its recent history and even a book detailing it's life from the early 1900's to just a few years ago. But other than meeting Nicci and her 18 year old little 'un, Artie, The highlight was a wonderful mural created by a local artist some years ago, depincting the Scala in its differnt guises and the big films from those eras. 



The Shyamalan type twist though was that all the characters portrayed in it were locals who had donated to the Scala cause. Some have passed on, the yougsters have grown up, and many come back to see what they have been a part of. The managers I have been able to stop and chat to have all passed on nuggets of information about the buildings they run and the history behind them and all have done so with a genuine passion. Nicci though seemed to be a part of the history, so at home in the building and in her own words "having been at the Scala in one from or another for 26 years"......



It was a lovely way to end the marathon stint of visiting so many (14) in a short space of time.... I now have two to go, over the next 11 days, but a whole lot in between as well.....
And the forecast is rain tomorrow evening in the Forest of Galloway. 
We shall see. 

 

1 comment:

3000 MIles to Heamoor, Coda: Those that made it happen

A Tour like that, doesn't just happen and is not just reliant on the planning in advance along the way, there are dozens of people and o...