Sunday 3 July 2022

Day 11 (Days, Eleven Nights)

Well I never expected that. I thought it was a fairly straightforward run from Kielder Forest to The Snake Pass. Country lanes and Motorways with a couple of stopoffs along the way. But It was stunning (Most of it) and went on for longer than I expected. The Yorkshire Dales were lit up beautifully in the sunshine and blue sky. They reminded me of Scotland (But Scotland was bigger). I came down the spine of England, the Penines and the Peak District Still stunning and wonderful, just like Scotland (But Scotland was bigger). It was the Snake Pass at the end of the day to get me to the Ladybower Reservoir and beddie byes. A dramatic view, much like Scotland.......


I made a point of two stop offs along the way though. There was the Sycamore Gap on Hadrians Wall a very famous spot, but pretty distinct for being in the opening sequence of Robin Hood Prince Of Thieves, where Robin arrives at Dover, goes up to Northumberland and then back down and home to Nottingham. At the cross roads before the car park, I stopped, put my foot to the floor and it wasn’t there, instead my foot floated through a pothole and the bike went down again. Second time this trip, There was a scouse lad on the other side of the road, missed what happened, but saw the aftermath and jogged over to help me lift it back. And on I went. Parked up in heavy rain, popped on my waterproof top and headed alongside the wall....

it went on and on, and up and down. A long way up and down and to top it all, the sun was out and I was melting. Stripped off a few layers and carried on. Met a lovely group out walking with their Cocker Spaniel Lottie. So much like Albus, zipping around, left and right with her nose to the ground. There was so much to see and smell out there (and that was just for the Humans!) Arriving at the “Gap” was a lovely moment,




the tree, the wall and very few other people around. Andrew and his group had just got their photos and were moving on, but not before pointing out there was a flat(ish) path to head back on, after I had commmented on the ups and downs of getting there. I matched up a couple of shots as best I could, from the film.




And rested a while in the shade of the tree. There was a stiff breeze coming through and it was very refreshing. I headed back, loaded up the bike and set off again.

The zig zag route I had plotted took me through more lovely countryside and led me to “HIgh Force” waterfall which had been highly recommended by another of our pilots, Dan Rutter. I was surprised and disappointed to see they charged to go up there, but I’d made it this far and it was worth every one of my 250 pennies…..


A roaring cascade over a small cliff, swollen with recent rain, and I simply could not imagine it drying up (wonder if it ever has?)

My journey continued, I cut across the corner of Cumbria, down through the Yorkshire Dales which when I got on top, the views were magnificent and it was crystal clear.

My thoughts once again went back to Scotland and how much of the scenery I saw today compared so well…… But the thing is, we have AONB’s and National Parks. Scotland is simply like this all over a stopoff at a fast food joint with a thickshake machine that works, to get a few bits charged up and then on through Glossop and over the Snake Pass. The sun was low in the sky, shadows were long and I was in no rush. Good job too as there were several sets of traffic lights and the GPS took me straight past my planned camp spot.

When I did make it there, it was gone 9pm and I got the thing set up quick. Birds were singing (and strangely did so off and on during the night) and the river feeding the reservoir could be heard trickling away at the bottom of the valley.

1 comment:

3000 MIles to Heamoor, Coda: Those that made it happen

A Tour like that, doesn't just happen and is not just reliant on the planning in advance along the way, there are dozens of people and o...